Monday, September 27, 2010

No Patron Saint For Runners...

As a Catholic I always appreciate the concept of patron saints.  Did you know there is no patron saint for runners?  There is a patron saint for athletes... St. Sebastian.  According to the internet... 

"He is patron saint of athletes because of his physical endurance and his energetic way of spreading and defending the Faith. Sebastian is also patron to all soldiers. He entered the Roman army under Emperor Carinus in 283 in order to defend the confessors and martyrs of his day without drawing attention to himself. His efforts kept the Faith of Marcus and Marcellian firm during their persecutions, right up to the time of their martyrdom. He was declared patron of plague sufferers of his reported cures of those afflicted with many diseases."

So since there is no direct patron saint I guess I stick with St. Patrick (if he can drive the snakes out of Ireland he's good enough for me) and keep saying my Hail Mary and Prayer to St. Michael before each race.  Of course if you have ever seen my times you would think I would be praying to St. Jude... the patron saint of lost causes!

1 comment:

  1. St. Jude for you & me both! Actually, I usually stick with the Memorare in pressure packed sports related moments of prayer. Short, easy to remember, with just a hint of desperation.

    ReplyDelete